Before 1948: Fresh Kills

The Fresh Kills site in its natural state was primarily tidal creeks and coastal marsh. The name “Fresh Kills” comes¬†from the Middle Dutch word kille, meaning “riverbed” or “water channel.” In the early 1900s it was a stream and freshwater¬†estuary in the western portion of the New York City borough of Staten Island.

Image: Isle of Meadows, Fresh Kills, 1933, via the Staten Island Museum.

Comments are closed.